Professor, School of Civil Engineering, Chongqing University
Committee Member, Computational Mechanics Committee and Elasticity Committee, Engineering Mechanics Institute of ASCE
2011, Ph.D., University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
2007, M.S., Tsinghua University
2004, B.S., Tsinghua University
2012-Present, Chongqing University
Infrastructural Sustainability and Resilience;
Novel Analyzing Methods for Structural Design
1. Collapse analysis of I-35W bridge in Minnesota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge)
2. Fatigue and fracture-based design of unbonded concrete overlay pavements
3. Quadrature element method-based analyses for structural nonlinear dynamics, postbuckling and cracking
1. M. Liao, P. Zhang, "An improved approach for computation of stress intensity factors using the finite element method," Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 101: 185-190, 2019.
2. M. Liao, D. Dong, "An accurate and efficient approach coupling quadrature element method and subregion generalized variational principle for fatigue crack growth modelling," Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 96: 452-460, 2018.
3. M. Liao, X. Deng, Z. Guo, "Crack propagation modelling using the weak form quadrature element method with minimal remeshing," Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 93: 293-301, 2018.
4. M. Liao, H. Xu, "Lifecycle simulation for unbonded concrete overlay design," Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 144(1): 04017151, 2018.
5. M. Liao, F. Chen, Z. Chen, Y.B. Yang, "A weak-form quadrature element formulation for 3D beam elements used in nonlinear and postbuckling analysis of space frames," Engineering Structures, 145: 34-43, 2017.
6. M. Liao, H. Zhong, "A weak form quadrature element method for nonlinear free vibrations of Timoshenko beams," Engineering Computations, 33(1): 274-287, 2016.
7. M. Liao, H. Zhong, "Application of a weak form quadrature element method to nonlinear free vibrations of thin rectangular plates," International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, 16(1): 1640001, 2016.
2011 Interdisciplinary Transportation Student Organization Paper Award, University of Minnesota